Friday, January 16, 2015

AS&SH: Pegomastax

The days go by and all I seem to do is draw anymore. Not complaining, I love what I do, but lately as I am finishing up my work for +Jeff Talanian's Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers or Hyperborea game system, for the upcoming +Joe Salvador "Forgotten Fane of the Coiled Goddess" module, it seems all I draw is Dinosaurs. 

Now don't get me wrong, who doesn't love dinosaurs, I mean, come on who? 

I do (subsequently so do my boys), and with this installment I continue my look at them with my version of the Pegomastax.

You can see the preliminary work here.

And the final. 

Pegomastax Dinosaur Drawing Del Teigeler
Copyright Del Teigeler 2015. Licensed to Jeff Tallanian 2015.


This is one of the smaller dinosaurs, and I was intrigued by the weird beaked head with the tusks. I pictured it as nearly bony with a thin skin covering, where the skin would kind of fold back as he opened his mouth wider. This thing was probably pretty nasty, akin to a feral barn cat of today I would imagine. 

It took me a while to figure out how to show scale for this critter, but after thinking about it, I thought "Ground Squirrel" (SQUIRREL!!). 

I think it captures it pretty well, that the Pegomastax is about the size of a large cat. 

I liked the idea of the thick soft quill like fur along his spine, and the thick protective plates covering his exposed sides. Though he would be vulnerable from attacks from below with the soft rippled skin, I think it makes for a fast moving vicious critter indeed. The bird of prey feet complete the look, as he would have to both move rapidly across the ground and attack prey with them, as his "short arms" wouldn't even be able to scratch his chin.

Again I started off with Sakura ink pens and finished off with the Neutral grey Prismacolor markers. 

On to the next dionsaurs!

Thanks for looking and comments always welcome. 

No comments:

Post a Comment