Friday, January 9, 2015

AS&SH Shunosaurus

Now that I have wrapped up most of my work for Matt Hargenrader's "Dwellers in the Dark Places" I have once again vowed to get back on +Jeff Talanian's project for the Astonishing Swordsmen and Sorcerers of Hyperborea, adventure suppliment written by +Joe Salvador entitled "Forgotten Fane of the Coiled Goddess". 

Here is a final that I have completed over the last few days. The original sketches and work on these can be seen here. Where I talked about how I evolved the simple sketch of the Shunosaurus from an image I found of an Elephant rising up on his hind legs, and working it into this finished piece. Go there and read up on it, and see how much this guy has changed from initial concept. 

Go ahead...we will wait.

Ok, you're back. Good. I thought I lost you there. Ok, well here is the final version. I hope the tension of having to go back in time was worth the wait.

Shunosaurus Dinosaur Drawing Del Teigeler Mavfire
Copyright Del Teigeler 2015. Licensed to Jeff Talanian 2015.

I really gave this guy a work over with the Sakura Pigma Microns for sure. A lot of filler crosshatching and shading before the final inks were added. I used Prismacolor art brush markers for the shading, starting with a 10% Neutral Grey, and progressing to the 40% Neutral Grey.

(Sidebar here for other artists: It really sucks that Prismacolor sells these things for like $4. They dont last that long on a piece this size. Also, these Neutral grey ones, are like the rarest to find in a set. Most designers apparently use either the "Cool" grey or the "Warm" grey. Of course, my eyes see those shades as blue for some reason. Anyway.)

Overall I don't prize this as one of my better pieces (though I hope Jeff and Joe like it well enough), I wouldn't put it in the same category as the Allosaurus or the Equijubus I have done for this same project. And I hope that I fixed the "hose" look that were his neck and tail. 

As always, thanks for looking, commenting and plussing(?)

No comments:

Post a Comment