Saturday, February 7, 2015

RGG: (Matt Hargenrader) Phreen

Matt Hargenrader asked me for several more illustrations and the Phreen is one of them. He had some basic sketches done some time ago, and wanted me to update them for his project. For the Phreen I kept the initial concept, gave it a fresh coat of paint (ink) and he he be. 

Copyright Del Teigeler 2015. Licensed to Matt Hargenrader 2015. 


I started with the idea that these things stalk high above their prey and then wind their way down atop them or simply drop on them. What better way to show this then to have it perched upon a tree hanging off of a cliff face. 

I particularly like the roots of the dead tree. They stand out and help build the scene. I really have been sketching a lot of rocky outcroppings, and such, and really working on my technique for rendering them. I came along way with this but think I have some more improvement to go. 

One would think that rendering stone, dirt and rock would be easy, but it is in fact not. You begin with squarish shapes and then add texture and refine it until you have something that is random but precise. I obviously am no master of this, but hope to improve with projects like this. 

Overall the composition of the piece is pretty good. In hindsight I think his upper body should have been dangling a bit more off of the tree and the tail should have been used more as stability. But hey, every artist thinks they could do better, and I am no different. 

Let me know if you have any technique suggestions for rocks/stone etc and how I could improve. I am always open to all forms of criticism. 

Thanks for looking and comments always welcome. 

No comments:

Post a Comment