Tuesday, March 31, 2015

& Magazine Issue 11: Humanoids work

Here are a few pieces of work that will appear in & Magazine Issue 11. This issue is a bit delayed, but well worth the wait. I hope all of you download it, and get a chance to use some of the new content for your AD&D 1st edition games. 

This first piece is for the article entitled Undead Ogre Magi.
Undead Ogre Magi by Del Teigeler, Mavfire 2015
Copyright Del Teigeler 2015.
If you haven't figured it out yet, I love the dynamic that happens when we see our creatures from behind, but still fear them, because they see us coming, and don't seem to mind that we are behind them. It gives me that "Oh shit! My plan to sneak up on them failed and now I am doomed" kind of feel. 

This was a a difficult illustration to wrap my head around. As you'll see if you download the issue from the above link, these things are pretty much the same dead as they are living. But (and this may be creative license) I thought that tattered robes would go a long way to illustrating the point of the undead nature of him. 

Clearly a foe to be reckoned with. I'm not sure your 2nd level cleric is going to be able to turn this guy either. 

This next one is an illustration for a Lenard Lakofka article in the same issue of & Magazine. 


Lenard's Long Coat Mage by Del Teigeler, Mavfire 2015
Copyright Del Teigeler 2015.

I really liked the idea of the man being completely bent over backwards by the power of his magic, and at first I went way dramatic with it, but it turned out to be more about the magic than the coat for which the illustration was for. So I decided to go with this more upright pose. 

I enjoyed toying with this piece though, the details of his boots, coat and shadowing effect due to the extreme light produced by the magic (especially on his forearms). I probably could have exaggerated the shadows on the tail of the coat a bit more but, once again, I didn't want to detract from the purpose. 

Thank for looking, comments always welcome. 


No comments:

Post a Comment