Sunday, April 12, 2015

Borderlands Logo

Recently +Steve C of The Borderlands Blog asked me to work on a logo for his fledgling publishing company. I worked on it for quite some time, and I appreciate Steve's patience over that time frame. 

Unlike most all of my other artwork, this logo was done almost completely in digital. I worked the initial sketches (thumbs) for Steve to approve by hand, and then scanned them. Let me tell you, I don't give enough credit to those of you who work entirely in digital medium. 

Regardless of anyone's personal opinions about whether digital is art or not, boy what a task to do everything on a Wacom tablet. I dont know personally how anyone does this all the time. I have an older CTE-440 tablet with a 4x6 inch drawing area, and it was a chore. I can imagine that a larger tablet would be better, but the feel of it was....abnormal. I dont think my brain will ever be the same.

Good experience though and after about a day of working on it, it was fairly seamless. 

Here are the initial sketches (thumbs) I worked up for Steve. 


Hogtown 1 by Del Teigeler, Mavfire
Copyright Del Teigeler 2015.

Hogtown 2 by Del Teigeler, Mavfire
Copyright Del Teigeler 2015
Hogtown 3 by Del Teigeler, Mavfire
Copyright Del Teigeler 2015

Hogtown 4 by Del Teigeler, Mavfire
Copyright Del Teigeler 2015

Steve wanted a combination of the last one's image, and the script of the third. I scanned them into the computer, and came up with this.

Hogtown web1 by Del Teigeler, Mavfire
Copyright Del Teigeler 2015

Digitally I turned the original drawing blue so that I could then distinguish what I had worked on and what I had not. 

Hogtown web2 by Del Teigeler, Mavfire
Copyright Del Teigeler 2015

I added the black and white version after I finished the colorized version, because I figured Steve might want a black and white version for printing purposes. 

Here is the final version in full color.


Initially I had many of the highlights in silver, but Steve thought they would look better in gold, so those got changed. He wanted the "Hogtown" to be metalic, and left the majority of everything else for me to decide. Steve was great to work with and hope we can work together in the future on one of his projects. 

This was a fun project to do, and I look forward (though my brain does not) to working completely in digital in the future. 

Thanks for looking, comments always welcome. 










No comments:

Post a Comment