Monday, May 18, 2015

Orcus: The Process (Parental Guidance Suggested)

+Jason Chapman asked me to illustrate my version of Orcus, the God of the Underworld.

The vile creature whose fat bloated body sits atop the legs of a goat and whose bat like wings can barely carry his stinking carcass around. The Defiler, the horn headed devil himself.

This is where it all started.
Orcus sketch by Del Teigeler, Mavfire
Copyright Del Teigeler 2015
I started with his belly, as this is basically a circle and worked from there to fill in the details. His boobs/chest I wanted to have look like they were just waiting to fall off over the giant belly.

His legs I wanted that thick curly goat fleece type look, and I sketched it in as curls for now. 

Orcus goes nowhere without his trusty skull mace. However, I wanted my version to be huge, and while the skull mace is traditionally drawn with just one skull, I envisioned his mace to be made of multiple. 

His head was next, and after checking out some big horned sheep photos on google, I was set with the way the horns come off of their head. Sketched in the face and gave him a huge set of trapezious muscles to support his horned head, I moved onto the wings. 

His wings are like those of a bat, and I have drawn them many times, but his are supposed to be smallish for his form, so I sketched them in next. 

I shipped the rough off to +Jason Chapman asking him if he wanted to keep the balls or not and he gave me the green light. 

Here is the fully black and white version.

Orcus B&W by Del Teigeler, Mavfire
Copyright Del Teigeler 2015.


For the final version I detailed in the goat fur legs, and fixed the proportion of both feet to fix that up. Jason wanted a cigar thrown in his mouth and the "Metal" horns being formed by his right hand, so I raised his arm, and rocked him out. 

The wings I changed dramatically from the sketch, gave them a bit more fullness, and detailed in the boney horns at the tips and bends of them. I also added the curly goat fur where they attach to his back. 

I reworked the mace as well, making it larger than the sketch, and showing multiple rows of skulls that form the head of it. Holding it the way he is, I fixed the fat folds around where it is resting against his belly, and added some details to the shaft as well. 

I added in some definition to his abdomen, and chest, as well as his muscled arms, and goat legs. 

A quick rocky ground and he was ready to be presented. 

I worked next on the greyscale version. 

Orcus Greyscale by Del Teigeler, Mavfire
Copyright Del Teigeler 2015.

Putting my trusty Prismacolor Neutral Grey Art Markers to good use, I shaded him in working up from 10%-40% as usual, paying particular attention to where the light was coming from, in this case generally from the front-right, casting shadows to the rear-left (as the viewer sees this).

I really darkened in his wings, as those would be covered with a dark leathery like hide. 

Overall I am pleased with this one. It was fun to do. 

Thanks for looking, comments always welcome. 




No comments:

Post a Comment