Monday, October 19, 2015

Snake Feather Dragon and Rachava

Matt Hargenrader approached me again to fill out some more artwork for his "Dwellers in the Dark Places" monster manual for old school games. 

He gave me three illustrations to complete, and these are the first  two of those three. He also wants me to illustrate a worm called an Inkrassa. That should be fun, and is on the drawingboard soon.

Until then, enjoy the Sanke Feather Dragon.

Snake Feather Dragon by Del Teigeler, Mavfire
Copyright Del Teigeler 2015. Licensed Matt Hargenrader 2015.

This guy is a sort of cross between a dragon and a Couatl. 

I wanted him aloft, and looking to dive on something below. It was difficult to get it all right, and those feathers took a bit of work to get right. He has six "leg" which is unusual for a dragon, plus the wings, so in order to get them all in I had to give him sort of an elongated abdomen with multiple sets of pectoral muscles. His hind legs are long and gangly  and I like the airborn look of them. 

I actually did about three sketches of this one before deciding on the pose, size and form. Overall I am pleased with how it turned out. 

For the next one, I posted a preview of it on G+ and am showing the final one here now. 

This is a Rachava, sort of a small thorn creature. He is only 6"-1' in diameter according to the write-up but a constant thorn in the err shoe for adventurers. 

Rachava by Del Teigeler, Mavfire
Copyright Del Teigeler 2015. Licensed Matt Hargenrader 2015.

For this one, I was given a decent sketch of the creature to look at, but the sketch didnt quite capture the look and feel I had imagined when I read the details. If this thing was to blend in with his surroundings, he needed to look like brambles and thorns. His open rib cage can capture small prey, and he bolts around on two over-sized feet. 

Of course when I showed my wife, she called it a Furbie! Go figure. 

Thanks for looking, comments always welcome. 


No comments:

Post a Comment